Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanks-giving in Everything

Rejoice always,
 pray without ceasing, 
give thanks in all circumstances; 
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 - ESV)


Daily, I am reminded of all the ways God has blessed me and my family. How can I not be? We have been given more, and entrusted with more, than most people in all of history could even conceive. Yet, it is so easy to complain and focus on those things in life that are challenging, annoying and painful. This morning I was putting together our "Deployment Wall" - a space dedicated to keeping connected with our Daddy as he traverses the globe this year. As I was hanging the world map and Daddy Mail Box, the above verse from I Thessalonians came to mind. I began thinking of many of the challenges life has brought us, big and little, and quietly I began hearing that Still Quiet Voice reminding me of how He has used each.  I wanted to share some with you, praying God will use them to help you also "give thanks in all circumstances"

1 - Our drafty, cold house: Our new home is older, and we haven't had the chance to do some weather proofing yet. Nights have been cold. Stockinged toes quickly begin tingling on the hard wood floors. But, we have a home and one that more than meets our needs. It also meets many of our desires, and has a few perks thrown in.  We are not living on the streets, or in a refugee camp, or in tents. We have heat and extra blankets. We have a home we can share with others. 

2 - Spills, Interruptions, and Legos:  Our home is rarely quiet. My days are spent cleaning up messes, stepping on and over toys, refereeing arguments, and wishing for a hot cup of coffee with the book collecting dust on the shelf. But  - with each spill comes wam hugs; with each argument comes an opportunity to show grace; with each toy out of place comes the privilege of sharing with and serving others. Each interruption is an opportunity to love another human with the love Christ has shown me. That book collecting dust? I have a book I am capable of reading that can collect dust! 

3 - The Opportunity to be a Single Parent: First, I have been blessed to be a parent, and a parent to many children. So many women long, beg and pray for the blessing of children that came so easily for us. This upcoming experience of parenting alone is temporary (by God's grace!). Unlike so many moms who have been forced into single parenting, with no expectation of ever having a help-mate, our Daddy should eventually come home. He is not leaving voluntarily, because he is giving up on us, or pursuing selfish interests, or because he found something or someone new and more exciting, but because he has been called to an amazing task that will take him away for a period of time. Our Daddy has the privilege of serving our God and country in a way that is reflective of Christ's life - willingly and voluntarily offering it all for God's glory and the betterment of mankind. In the mean time, I can learn lessons that God may use to bless other moms in similar situations. I will have the opportunity to lean on Him in ways I wouldn't otherwise. 

4 - Our Miscarried Child:  I don't talk about him. In fact, until this blog, there are very few people who even know about him. We didn't know he existed until we lost him, because even modern medicine missed his arrival. I will miss the 4 year old face that won't be at the table tomorrow. I will miss buying him presents for Christmas and watching him open them. I will miss celebrating his 5th birthday this spring and helping him draw pictures for Daddy. But - I was blessed to be his Mommy for a few short weeks, even if I didn't even know it at the time. His loss makes me appreciate my 6 other children all the more. He showed me how fragile life can be and how much it should be cherished. He has allowed me to better mourn with those who mourn. He has given me one more reason to eagerly anticipate my final homecoming, when I will finally be able to hold and hug him. 

5 - Broken Relationships:  Broken relationships are devastating, and I've had several over the last few years. Particulars aren't important, but there was a time I didn't think I would survive the experience. Though I never want to experience the worse of it again, I have been gifted remarkable healing and restoration. I have been given a glimpse of the depth and power of God's love and grace, and the opportunity to extend it to others. Though not every relationship has as yet seen restoration, I have hope that it is possible. Not just possible, but that the other end can be more wonderful than the beginning. 

I'd encourage you to find your Thanksgivings in the painful parts of your life. God has incredible healing and hope in store for all who "give thanks in all circumstances". We don't know what the next year has in store, but it could be, that learning to give thanks for all of the past and present, is preparation and a source of strength for the future. 

This song, and the truths and promises in it, carried me through the darkest times. Sometimes His grace does come through raindrops and His healing can come through tears....


1 comment:

  1. I have been blessed by your blog. I was also blessed to hear Laura Story sing this song in concert, and blessed to have started reading the dusty book on my shelf called *One Thousand Gifts.* The author, Ann VosKamp has a perspective similar to yours, and her message is: Give thanks for the hard things as well as the happy things. So true!

    ReplyDelete