Monday, October 2, 2017

Christian Idolatry - Flags and Guns

I've been putting off writing this for days. I don't want to. It hits too close to home and is forcing me to look at myself in ways I really don't want to. But, I'm driven to and I think it is something our nation, and the American Church, needs to confront in light of current events.

For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised;
he is to be feared above all gods.
For the gods of the peoples are worthless idols,
but the LORD made the heavens.
Psalm 96: 4-5 (ESV)


The heart of all sin is idolatry - putting something or someone in God's place. This passage is in the middle of a Psalm extolling God's glory to the nations. "The gods of the people are worthless idols" led me to thinking - What are my idols and how do I know what my idols are?

Idolatry is characterized by one major attribute - anger. Anger tells us something is wrong. Something in our passions is out of sorts or being challenged. Jesus demonstrates righteous anger when he overthrows the money changers in the temple. His anger is kindled out of the defamation of God's House and God's name. The only time he uses strong language is in response to the Pharisees' abuse of God's Word.   Jesus' passion, His priority, is God's glory - and seeing it tarnished ignites the only violent outbursts we see from him in Scripture. His unfair trial, his disciples' betrayal, his wrongful crucifixion, the prostitute's sin, the tax collector's theft, the Roman soldiers' oppression of the Jews - none of that sparks His anger. It is only the tarnishing of God's name that brings him to anger. In every other infraction, He turns the attention of the sinner to the Redeemer. Even on the cross, he pointed those who were killing him, to God the Father. God is His God.

But how about me? What makes me angry, and when I am angry what is my goal? 

Too often, most of the time, it has nothing to do with God. Something else is provoking my heart to feel my priorities, my gods, are being threatened. Maybe it is a child's pride conflicting with my own. Often it is because my plan isn't working, or others aren't following it. Sometimes it is because someone is challenging decisions I have made or positions I hold, and because I have allowed my identity to be wrapped up in those, I take it personally.  It sparks anger that other's are not bowing to my god.

Recent events have brought me to my knees in grief over our national gods - especially among fellow believers. Look at what we get angry about and who we blame. More importantly, what we don't do and say.  How much time have we spent discussing how a flag should be honored? Sit, kneel, stand. We talk about respecting the Constitution, honoring veterans, and nationalism, but how often have we used this as an opportunity to express our longing for God's Kingdom? That every knee that bows is a longing for a Nation, a Kingdom, that will never fail ruled by One who will never let us down. How many memes, editorials, tweets, and Facebook statuses have been shared that make fun of or deride an individual? Who, or what, are we really prioritizing? Is it a nation, or a soul in need of its Savior? What is our god?

How about politicians and celebrities?  When your favorite president or community leader is criticized, do you get angry, or do you seek God's glory? Do you like and share social media that idealizes a human, or do you seek God's face?  When confronted with someone from "the other side", do you criticize, judge, and humiliate another human created in God's image, or do you "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness"?

When scores of people are killed and injured at a concert, do you place blame on a person, or a weapon, or a law, or the lack of a law - or do you fall at the feet of God and lead those around you to His footstool?

When confronted with opposing views of marriage, education, family planning, social justice, immigration, etc, etc, do you bring individuals to the foot of the cross with love, grace, humility, and compassion? Too often, what I see, what I do, are at their very core, attempts to control and protect idols. We are not pointing to the glory of the One True God. I struggle against being crucified with Christ, so that I may live instead of Him living in me.

We have an idolatry problem. We fall at the feet of a flag, a nation, a legal document, an ideology, a false sense of security - trying to control people God wants to free.  America will one day fall. Presidents and community leaders will die. Freedoms will come and go - but the Kingdom of God will remain forever.

Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength!
Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
bring an offering, and come into his courts!
Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness;
tremble before him, all the earth!
Say among the nations, "The Lord reigns!"
Psalm 96: 7-10a (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment